The Andrew and Mona Slaughter Sherley Home

The home of Andrew and Mona Slaughter Sherley, descendants of prominent pioneer families, is located on Fifth Street in Anna, Texas. Andrew and Mona married January 1, 1898 and possibly built this house around the same time. Andrew was born in 1858 and died in 1945. Mona was born in 1874 and died in 1963. Andrew with his brother, Fred Sherley, owned and operated A. Sherley Bro. store for many years. Prior to marriage, Mona attended Baylor University in Waco in 1893. They had two children William Merideth (a.k.a Bill Sherley) and Lena. After the death of their daughter Lena Sherley
Brown, who was a loved and dedicated Anna High School teacher, the house was sold to Lucy and Willie Jamison with daughters, Katy, Jerry and Kathy. Willie was a teacher/coach at Anna High School. The house was then sold to Shirley Huggins and children, Debra, Mike, Jean Ann and David. Current owners are Ricky Lynn, Brenda and Nathan Rollins.

Compiled by: Judy Lindsey Harlow

Picture taken by: Betty Adams Morriss

The Anna Lou Sherley Cox House

This was the home of Anna Lou Sherley Cox. Her parents were Albert and Rebecca Sherley. She was born in 1875 and died in 1963. Anna Lou was married to Emmit Elbridge Cox. They had no children. Her siblings were Andrew, Benjamin, W.M., Matilda, Frederick, and her twin sister Laura Sherley. Aunt Louley, as she was affectionately called by family and friends, will be remembered by many as having one of the best manicured yards in Anna, Texas. Yard work was her passion and weather permitting she could be found in her yard every day. All of her flowers and plants had labels. Some of her impish great nieces and friends would sneak into her yard and switch the labels. These antics never seemed to upset her. She changed the labels back and just continued working and giving her yard TLC. Also, the children of the town enjoyed the fish pond she maintained in her back yard. It was very popular for the kids to ride their bicycles after school over to her house for a delightful look and a lesson about her beautiful fish. The house is no longer owned by the Sherley family.

Compiled by: Judy Lindsey Harlow

Picture taken by: Betty Adams Morriss

Additiion comments by Jan Sherley Miller:

 At one time after the death of her husband, she was a dorm mother at TCU.  Would be home in summer to work on garden.  The house had porch that wrapped from north around east side. Window in picture was placed by new owners.  There were two beautiful stained glass windows in house.  She had a long concrete walk that separated her huge vegetable garden on one sides and a fence and arbor covered with grapes.  Also two rows of grapes in vegetable garden.  When her eyesight got so bad that she couldn’t distinguish between flowers and weeds, she would get in the middle of a grassy area and dig so she wouldn’t destroy flowers.  That is where she died.

 Bill and Arlie Lindsey Home

This home of Bill (W.R.) and Arlie Kuykendall Lindsey was built in 1940 on a lot purchased from the Van Alstyne Cotton Mill Co. Levi Carruth of Weston was the contractor. He was a master craftsman of carpentery. Levi was assisted by Bill (Herschel) Howell of the Kelly Community. Bill and Arlie had previously lived on their farm at Mantua (pronounced Man’ chu way). Moving to town from the farm was a very exciting adventure. They now had indoor plumbing, running water, electricity and lots of closets. An interesting feature of the house was the “S” sidewalk that went from the front porch to the highway which was then highway 75. It was an ideal place for Bill’s niece, Judy, and her best friend, Cindrette Ricker, to play in the summertime. An addition was made to the house c.1960 by converting the garage into a bedroom and bath. They also added a large carport. Next to Bill and Arlie’s house his brother and wife, Gene and Ruby Lindsey, built their home in 1945 after WWII had ended. Bill and Gene owned land and were farmers. They also were John Deere dealers in downtown Anna. Their business was named Lindsey Bros. Implement Co.

Bill and Arlie had no children, but were very involved with their families, the Anna community, the Anna Methodist Church, and Anna School sports.

Compile by: Judy Lindsey Harlow

Picture taken by: Betty Adams Morriss

Bradshaw House

The Bradshaw house, located at 515 N. Sherley Ave. was part of the O.D. Cravens Land Grant of 1854, in Red River County on the Waters of the East Fork Trinity River. The grant consisted of 463 acres and was later separated into lots when the H&TC railroad came through Anna 1878-1883. 

This house was built by S. L. and Laura Bradshaw in 1934. Mr. Bradshaw was one of the early mail carriers in Anna. Mr. Bradshaw died in 1946 and Mrs. Bradshaw lived there for many years.

Sam and Hester Barnes bought the house in the early 1950’s. Mr. Barnes was coach in Anna High School and later served as High School Principal followed by several years as Superintendent of the Anna School District. 

Bo and Linda O’Neal bought the home in 1961 and lived there for 10 years with their sons. The present owners are Randy and Lynda Rollins who bought the home in 1972. 

Submitted by: Brenda Rollins Hammack

Pictures taken by: Brenda Rollins Hammack

Location: 515 N Sherley Ave

GPS: 33-21-10.914N – 96-32-51.762W

The Dixie Bell Strother Rattan Home

Dixie Bell Strother Rattan was married to John Hampton Rattan. It is not documented if they built this house on the corner of First and Interurban Street or even if John Hampton ever lived there. However, it is known that Dixie Bell lived there in the early 1930’s until her death. Dixie Bell was born in 1864 and died in 1950. Her husband, John Hampton, was born in 1859 and died in 1904 leaving her a widow at the age of 40. They had three children: Dow Rattan, Lee Rattan McAnally and Lillian Rattan Powell. On many occasions Eunice Vermillion Rattan, granddaughter-in-law, along with Judy Lindsey (Harlow) visited Mammy Rattan as she was affectionately called by family and friends. The inside of the house was quaint, quiet, and dark with beautiful antique furniture, hardwood floors, linoleum in the kitchen, area rugs and modest simple decorations. Mammy Rattan was a lovely lady showing many years of love and hard work. The outside of the house still has some gingerbread trim as did many houses of that era. It may be the last of its kind in Anna today. After the death of Dixie Bell Rattan, the house was sold to the A.R. Johnson family. It has been sold several times in recent years. A few renovations have been made and a storage-garage has been built in the rear of the house. The present owners are not known.

The great-grandson of John Hampton Rattan and wife, Dixie, is John Hampton Rattan. He and his wife, Terrie, now reside in the beautifully renovated country home place of his grandparents, Dow and Edna Lindsey Rattan, where his daddy, Hampton, and aunt, Sue Evelyn Rattan, were born and raised.

Compiled by: Judy Lindsey Harlow

Picture taken by: Betty Adams Morriss

The Dr. William Carson Bryant and Nannie Laura Greer Home

Dr. William Carson Bryant was born August 30, 1866 in Newport, Tennessee. He served as a corporal of Company D of the First Regiment of the Tennessee Volunteers for two years 1898 and 1899. Part of his service was spent in the Philippine Islands with engagement in Manila. His family relocated to McKinney, Texas in the early 1900’s. 

Dr. Bryant married Nannie Laura Greer, daughter of James L. Greer, one of the founders of Anna, in 1912. He began his practice in Anna and they built their home three blocks north of downtown on Riggins Street. This home was built around 1913 and was one of the homes featured in the Anna Times paper in 1915. Their home as well as the rest of the downtown area was located on the former land of James L. Greer, Mrs. Bryant’s father. Dr. Bryant’s medical office was located in the downtown area on the north side across from Alexander’s store. In Chester Howell’s research of the town of Anna, he reported being treated by Dr. Bryant in that office. 

Dr. Bryant and Nannie had three sons, Jim, Joe and Bill. Nannie was the granddaughter of J. L. and Emily Jane Kelly. Mrs. Kelly was the granddaughter of Collin McKinney and had come to Texas with the McKinney family in the 1850’s. After her husband’s death, she made her home with Dr. and Mrs. Bryant. 

Mrs. Bryant died in 1927 and Dr. Bryant in 1935. The home was sold to Ed and Pearl O’Neal, parents of Selby, John, Opal and J. C. (Cub) O’Neal. Later Anthony and Elnora Geer bought the property and lived there with their four children, Camille, Clyde, Amoret and Avis. Joe and Geraldine Greer also lived there several years with their children, Carylon, Tim and Tammy. 

The condition of the house had deteriorated and was torn down in early 2018. 

Compiled by: Linda Bryant O’Neal

Picture Provided by: Linda Bryant O’Neal

Location: 409 Riggins Street, Anna, Texas

GPS: 33-21-8.339N – 96-32-57.391W

The Everett Osborne and Annie Laura Wilson Slaughter House 

This house was the home of Everett Osborne and Annie Laura Wilson Slaughter. J. J. Wilson, Annie Laura’s father, gave them this house. It is located on Fifth Street near the Christian church. Everett was born in Anna September 30, 1891. Annie Laura was born December 22, 1897 in McKinney, Texas. Everett graduated from Anna High School in 1909 the fifth graduation class of Anna High School with three students in his class. Anne Laura and Everett were married on January 1, 1920. Their children were Doris, Bud, Betty Jo, John, Emily, Kincaid and Sara. Everett died October 12, 1968. Annie Laura died November 30, 1983. Many school class parties, dances, slumber parties, after school treats, especially Annie Laura’s chocolate fudge cake were enjoyed in this home by numerous kids through the years. (This was a HOME, which is much more than just a house.) Memories made here will last for generations. The house was sold to Ed Jones, principal of Anna High School in the 1980’s. Ed and his wife Paula renovated the attic and made another room/playroom for their son, Jackson, and daughter, Allison. When they sold the house, it was purchased by John White and wife Beverly. Ironically, John White is the grandson of Everett and Annie Laura. Again, the home became active with the hustle and bustle of family and friends. The house was recently sold in 2014 by John and Beverly and they moved to Hico, Texas. 

Compiled by: Judy Lindsey Harlow

Picture taken by Betty Adams Morriss

The W.L. and JoEtta Slaughter Roper Home

The W. L. Roper house is located on the northwest corner of James and Third Streets in Anna, Texas. Mr. Roper was born in 1872 and died in 1958. In 1895 he married Joetta Slaughter. She was born in 1872 and died in 1957. Their children were Leland, Winston, Walter and Edna. A granddaughter, Betty Sue Stratton also lived with her grandparents while attending Anna High School. Professor Roper, as he was called by many, was a teacher, principal and superintendent of the Anna Schools. A brick building built in 1910 served the students until 1939 when the enrollment had reached 350 students. Under the direction of the WPA (Works Progress Administration), a new building was constructed on the same campus. This building was named W. L. Roper High School in honor of the devoted longtime educator who served the schools from 1908 until 1943 as principal and superintendent. Mr. Roper was a faithful member of the Anna First Baptist Church. It has been remembered by many that at eleven fifty five every Sunday morning Mr. Roper walked out of the church because his dinner was on the table at twelve o’clock causing some of the children and teens to giggle. The once white house is now blue and additions have been built at the rear. Other owners of the Roper house have been Wallace and Betty Carr and children Kathy and Cindy; Charlie and Jane Adams; Paul Henderson family; Diane and Howard Durfee with daughters Erika and Alicia Kuykendall.

Compiled by: Judy Lindsey Harlow

Picture taken by: Betty Adams Morriss

The Robert and Nettie Cox Rosamond Home

This was the home of Robert (Bob) Rosamond and his wife, Nettie Cox Rosamond. He was born in South Carolina in 1870.His parents were John and Adelaide Oliver Rosamond. In their family, there were six girls and five boys. They came to Texas in the early 1900’s. R. B. was an extensive landowner and farmer. Mr. Bob’s brother, Sam, built the little famous red brick house northeast of Anna on the Westminster road (FM 2862). A schoolhouse was built across the road on Mr. Sam’s property and named Rosamond School. It has been assumed it was named for him. Later the school was moved farther east on Riffe property but retained the name of Rosamond School. Also, a church was built in 1918 on the same property and named Rosamond Baptist Church. This area between Anna and Westminster is still known as the Rosamond Community. A street in Anna has recently been named Rosamond. In 1904, daughter Roberta Rosamond was born to Robert and Nettie Rosamond. She was their only child. She married W.M. (Bill) Sherley, son of Mr. Andrew and Mona Slaughter Sherley. Robert and Nettie Rosamond lived in this home until their deaths. Roberta, Bill and children, Rosamond and Billy Bob, lived here until their new home was built on Loco Hill just outside of Anna on SH 121. Billy Bob Sherley, grandson of Robert and Nettie, and his wife, Kathy, still reside in Anna. The Rosamond family has had a great impact on Anna for many years. The stately Rosamond home was sold to Kenneth and Ginger Rollins Wortham and their children, Kimberly, Andy, Dooley and Sandra Sue. It has recently sold to Rodney and Gina Johnson.

Compile by: Judy Lindsey Harlow

Picture taken by: Brenda Hammack

Location: 229 E. 3rd Street

GPS Location: 33-21-0.707N / 96-32-47.186

The Oran Oscar Lair and Irene Crigger Lair House

Oran Oscar Lair (7-14-1898 – 12-22-1964) and Irene Crigger Lair (11-7-1906 – 2-18-1988) owned this house on the corner of Fourth and James Streets in Anna, Texas. Oran and Floyd Summers owned and operated a Texaco service station on Fourth Street and what is now Powell Parkway. It was a popular hangout for men and boys in the 1930’s. Of course, stations at that time were called “filling stations.” When there were no customers, Oran had a large tire propped up against the wall that he sat in to watch the passing traffic. Mr. Clarence Reaves also had a mechanic shop adjoining the station on the south end. Irene was employed by Bealls Department store in McKinney.

 The home had an upstairs and served as a boarding house for single teachers as far back as the 1930’s. Some of the teachers were Miss Arlyn Graves who met and married James Laud Rattan in 1934. Other teachers living at this house in the 1930’s were Irma Sinclair, Norma Sportsman and Flo Helton. In 1949 the first Home Economics teacher of Anna High School, Mrs. Opal Pockrus, also rented the upstairs apartment and lived there during the week to teach, returning to her home and husband in Denton every weekend. Another Home Economics teacher, Jane Patterson, who rented the apartment and lived there in the early 1960’s until she married a local boy, Charlie Adams. In the mid 1960’s the football coach and history teacher, Connie McGuire, lived there. The house and yard have always been neatly maintained making it one of the special homes from “ole Anna-town.”

The house is currently owned by Dale and Ruth Smith.

Submitted by: Judy Lindsey Harlow

Picture taken by: Betty Adams Morriss

Location: 314 W 4th Street

GPS: 33-20-57.82N – 96.33-7.372W

The Leonard and Judy Lindsey Harlow House

 This is the home of Leonard and Judy Harlow. It was built in 1955 when Leonard returned from serving in the armed forces in Germany. It was built at the cost of$15,500 (with no mortgage) on a lot owned by Judy’s parents, Gene and Ruby Lindsey. The house plans were drawn by Judy. Shack Smith was the contractor. Perry Bell (Red) Flanery did dirt work on the lot with a large road grader. Son (James) Gentry was the builder along with carpenters Lawrence Kemp, Hardy Bell, Jimmy Rattan, Mr. Combest and others. Mr. Cotter laid the cement foundation. Weldon Lewis also did cement work. Cedar shakes were ordered from Canada by Leburn Goforth owner of Anna Lumber Co. The shakes were used as the focal point on the outside walls. Willie Mangum and Jelly (Clarence) Pell fashioned a brick flower planter in front of the house. However, the clay soil and shifting of the ground took its toll on the planter and it had to be torn down.

A garden plot is at the rear of the house. Leonard has planted and harvested there every year. Also, there is a small barn and pasture where horses, FFA calves, pigs, goats and dogs have found a home.

This has been the home of Leonard and Judy their entire married life. Their three children, Russell, Dale and Suzanne were raised here. Also, their four grandchildren, Katharine, Hunter, Andrew and Chloe; and great grandchildren, Renndon and Hayes have been loved and entertained here since birth.

Family Sunday dinners have always been the highlight and main function of this home!

Compile by: Judy Lindsey Harlow

Picture taken by: Betty Adams Morriss

 

John Chandler – Bamberg House

By Linda Bryant O’Neal

 

This home is located at 406 W 4th Street in Anna, Texas. According to the current homeowner the house was moved to Anna from Weston in 1932 by mule and rail. One of the past owners found documentation in the home stating that John Chandler was the original homeowner at the Anna location.

 

We have not been able to find any records of who bought the house from the Chandlers but Roy and Anna Lou Powell Turner lived there in the 1940’s through the 1960’s. Roy was the brother of Sid Turner who ran the service station a block east at the corner of Highway 5 and 4th Street. Anna Lou was the sister of Bill Powell who lived a block west of the home. Bill Powell was the mayor of Anna for several years. The Turners sometimes rented out the upstairs of the home. There was a large porch around the house with a back entrance for visitors and residents of the upstairs apartment. Harold and Karlene Miller Hendricks lived there when they were first married. Reed and Kim Barton also lived there for a time.

 

Later owners were the Larry Rogers’ family as well as Jack and Modene Lentz. The current owners are Ron and Wanda Bamberg.

 

Submitted by: Linda Bryant O’Neal

Picture taken by: Betty Adams Morriss

Location: 406 W 4th Street, Anna, Texas

GPS: 33-20-57.906N – 96-33-09-022W

James Dow Rattan and Minerva Jane Rattan Home

This home was built in the south part of Anna in late 1914. It was located at the S.E. corner of what is now Hwy 5 and White Street. The holiday edition of the “Anna Times” said the house cost $9.000. It had indoor water and sewerage system. The house had eleven rooms and two bathrooms. Only nine children moved into the new house with their parents since two daughters had already married. Daughter, Nola was married in the house in 1920. Mr. Rattan died in 1924 at the age of 67 and his funeral was held at this home. After her husband’s death, Mrs. Rattan continued to live in the house until her death in 1961, just six days prior to her 99th birthday. Zoe Rattan Cartwright lived in the house with her mother in her older years. Later, Jewel Rattan Bralley came to live there with them. Theses two daughters remodeled the house in the early 1960’s after their mother’s death. Jewel Bralley lived there alone after sister Zoe’s death in 1966. The family sold the house in the late 1980’s. It burned on Easter Sunday 1998.

Prepared by:

Dana Rattan Adams

February 2018

GPS Location: 33-20-39 N / 96-33-05 W

The Guy Vivian and Winnie McKinney Stinnett Home

This house was built by Guy Vivian and Winnie McKinney Stinnett in the Mantua, Texas community on Stinnett property (the date is not known). When the farm was sold it was purchased by a Mr. Wilmott. Leonard (Pete) Nalls and wife, Lucy, with children, Irene and James, moved in this house and farmed the land. In 1940 another son, Raymond Berry, was born. In 1947 the Nalls family left the farm house and moved into the town of Anna. Other families who lived in this house were J. C. Welch, John Reno and others. In 1955 the house was sold to M. C. Powell, Jr. and hiswife, Imogene. The house was moved from the farm into the town of Anna on 4th Street which was a remarkable feat for that day and time. Some renovations were made and a room was added. This house was sold after the deaths of the Powells. It is presently owned by Emily and Justin Martin and is in this same location on 4Th Street.

 

Compiled by: Judy Lindsey Harlow

Picture taken by: Betty Adams Morriss

The Gene and Ruby Lindsey House

This is the home of Gene and Ruby Lindsey. They had plans to build the same time Gene’s brother and his wife, Bill and Arlie Lindsey built their homes. They had purchased land from the Van Alstyne Cotton Mill Company for their homes and would be side by side. However, WWII changed those plans as all building materials were ‘frozen” in order to support the U.S. military efforts. After the war ended, the building supplies ban was lifted and the house was started. Gene and Ruby had lived all their married life on the Cold Springs and Mantua (pronounced Man’ chu way) farms. City life was now going to be a new experience for them and their ten year old daughter, Judith Ann (Judy). Grover Jones from Plano was the contractor. The master carpenter was, John O’Neal, a family friend from Plano that was born and raised in Anna. The cream brick home was completed in 1945. Now, Gene, Ruby and Judy moved to the town of Anna, which at that time had a population of 504.

Judy remembers a large 8×12 box made by the carpenters to mix cement for the foundation and sidewalks. They left it on the premises and later Judy and her friends used it as a clubhouse for a “secret society” club they had made up. They even designed a flag with a “pirate” logo that they hung on a broom handle and made a sign, “NO BOYS ALLOWED.”

Gene and his brother, Bill, were in the John Deere business in Anna, which they operated for 30 years called Lindsey Bros. Implement Co.

The house is still being used by their daughter, her children and grandchildren for storage of furniture, Christmas decorations, etc.

Compile by: Judy Lindsey Harlow

Picture taken by Betty Adams Morriss

The Fred Sherley Home

The Fred Sherley home in Anna, Texas was probably built during the 1890’s. Fred Sherley (7-1871/5-1941) was married to Quincy Coffman (3-1876/1-1924) who was the granddaughter of John Coffman, one of the areas earliest settlers. Fred and Quincy had three children: Lorraine (1901), George (1903) who died in 1914 from a mule kick in the head, and Wayne (1907). The house originaly had four rooms with several renovations made during the following years. After the death of Quincy, Fred married Johnnie Goforth, a local Anna girl whose brother Leburn Goforth operated the Anna Lumber Yard. Daughter Lorraine was an English professor at Texas Christian University for nearly fifty years. She spent her vacations at the home place in Anna and also entertained relatives from all over the US at many family reunions. Over a number of years, her three nieces and their families lived in the house. After her death, she left the “homeplace” to her great nephew Wren Miller. Wren remodeled the house adding a new bathroom and kitchen. After he lived there for some time, his sister Marquin and her sons lived there. His older brother Bart, his wife Rebecca Lawrence Miler, and their two children were the next family members to live there. Wren eventtually sold the house in 2015, and the family history ceased. Fred’s brother Andrew Sherley, who built A. Sherley and Bro. (just west of the house) later sold the store to Fred. The Sherley family has had a very prominent place in the history of Anna and Collin County, Texas.

Compiled by: Jan Sherley Miller

Picture taken by: Betty Adams Morriss